Thursday, September 22, 2011

Our School's Calendar...

As I was walking through Barnes and Noble one day, during one of our weekly visits, I spied a book in the children's section entitled "Everything you should know before Kindergarten". Since Elijah is advanced in a lot of subjects I thought I would give the book a look-through to see if I should buy it. To my surprise, Elijah knew everything in the book (colors, numbers (counting to 20), the alphabet, patterns, etc) except the weather, the days of the week and the months of the year.

I had already been looking for other things I could teach him, so I decided that the days of the week and months of the year would be perfect. I figured the weather can also be thrown in there, but nonchalantly, by looking out the window and asking what the weather is like.

We decided that a calendar would be the best thing to do. So I looked online to get some ideas and my mom found a Calendar kit during another trip to Barnes and Noble. When I had some time I put it together, this is what came of it.



We plan on starting on October 1st, so the days of the week are set up for that. Also, when the leaves start falling, around these parts, I plan to let Elijah pick some off the ground and from the trees to put around the "Fall" season label. Each day we will also be doing a "Word of the Day" and a "Question of the Day" to round out the learning/interaction.

That's the plan... I hope this all goes well, considering I'm going back to work on Monday, so all of this will have to take place either before I go to work or after work and before dinner. I'm sure it will work itself out, though. :-)

No comments: